What to do with all those extra candy canes?
Whether you have a collection leftover from the holidays or you couldn’t resist the 90% off Christmas stuff sale, you might find yourself with waaay too many candy canes this time of year! Here’s a great idea for what you can do with all those red-and-white goodies, compliments of Peyton List, star of Disney Channel’s Bunk’d/Jessie!
Several years ago, BYOU Magazine featured Peyton List as our cover star (2013 holiday issue, available for digital download), and in her exclusive interview with us she shared her fun recipe to make Peppermint Bark, a yummy chocolate and peppermint treat. It’s a winter-time favorite, plus you’ll be making great use of those extra candy canes LOL! Here’s her recipe…
PEYTON LIST‘S PEPPERMINT BARK RECIPE
1 bag of dark chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 bag of white chocolate chips
10-12 large candy canes (or equivalent)
1. Place the candy canes in a large Ziploc-type bag and seal tightly. Use a rolling pin to roll/smash the candy canes into small pieces.
2. Prepare a cookie sheet by covering it with parchment paper (which is safer and healthier to bake on than aluminum foil).
3. Melt the chocolate in a microwave 20 seconds at a time, stirring frequently, it’s easy to pour but not runny. (Note: always microwave in a glass bowl, not plastic).
4. Pour the chocolate onto the cookie sheet and spread it evenly. The chocolate does not have to reach the sides of the sheet or be particularly neat. Then, place the tray in the refrigerator to cool.
5. Now, melt the white chocolate in a microwave 20 seconds at a time, stirring frequently. Stir in about 1/4th of the candy cane pieces.
6. Remove the tray from the refrigerator and spread white chocolate over the dark or semi-sweet chocolate (make sure the dark or semi-sweet chocolate is completely cooled).
7. While the white chocolate is still somewhat melted, sprinkle the remaining candy cane pieces over the while chocolate and press down lightly so the pieces stick.
8. Place the tray back into the refrigerator to firm for about 30 minutes. Once the peppermint bark is set and cooled, break into pieces and enjoy!
Thanks Peyton, we’ll be sure to enjoy your awesome recipe!
Want to see the behind-the-scenes video from BYOU Magazine’s Peyton List photo shoot? CLICK HERE
Want more celeb exclusives and DIYs? Be sure to check out the Accept, Love, Honor Your Body issue featuring Henry Danger star, Ella Anderson! This issue is filled with 100+ self-care tips, celebrity exclusives, real girl role models, and all-natural crafts & recipes! Here’s how to get a copy:
- Order a single print copy from us ($3.95 + shipping)
- Download it digitally ($2.99 with the free BYOU Magazine app on iTunes, Android, or Amazon)
- Look for it on newsstands across the United States and Canada – can’t find it at your local newsstand? Be sure to request they carry BYOU Magazine!
When you subscribe to BYOU Magazine you’ll get every fun and encouraging issue delivered right to your door for only $17.95/year (six issues)! Don’t miss a single issue, ORDER A SUBSCRIPTION TODAY!