Looking for a great way to enjoy fun scents without artificial fragrances or chemicals? Natural products are your answer!
These days, because of undefined ingredients (like “natural flavors” or “fragrance”) and really long labels, understanding what’s actually in what we put on our bodies is getting harder to do. In our exclusive interview with Ella Anderson, Nickelodeon Henry Danger star and founder of her own natural and organic product line Aiko by Ella, she tells BYOU Magazine readers, “There are just so many toxins, chemicals, and things that poison your skin. What you put ON your skin is just as important as what goes in your body. 60% of everything applied to your skin is absorbed into the body, so it’s important to understand what ingredients you are using and how they can affect you. Read labels and look at the ingredients in products; if you can’t pronounce them, then you probably should avoid them!” (Click here to see how you can read Ella’s entire inspiring interview!)
An easy way to avoid synthetic or overly-processed ingredients is to make your own natural products, just like Ella Anderson has been doing since she was four years old! Below are “recipes” and video tutorials of natural health and beauty products we love, courtesy of Dr. Josh Axe, clinical nutritionist and doctor of natural medicine. They are super simple and require only a few ingredients (including ahh-mazing smelling essential oils!); not only will you save money on expensive brand-name products, but you’ll have peace of mind knowing that you’re only using ingredients that are GOOD for you! And, they make awesome homemade gifts– you can even customize with your own personal labels!
Most of the products you use every day have simple, natural options like…
(Total Time: 2 Minutes Serves: 30 uses)
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon xylitol powder
- 20 drops cinnamon or clove essential oil
- 20 drops peppermint essential oil
- 30 drops trace minerals
- toothpaste tube or glass jar to store
- Put all ingredients into bowl and mix well together. (You can also use a food processor for this)
- Remove homemade toothpaste and store in glass jar with a lid. If it starts to dry out, add a bit of water.
Recipe found at https://draxe.com/homemade-remineralizing-toothpaste/
(Total Time: 2 minutes Serves: 1-2 uses)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 mashed strawberry
- 3 drops lemon essential oil
- Mix baking soda with strawberry until a paste forms.
- Add in essential oil drops. Put paste mixture on your toothbrush and brush teeth for 2 minutes.
- Rinse mouth and brush teeth with normal tooth paste.
- Use immediately after preparing ingredients. May store in refrigerated space for an additional 1-3 days. Mix before each use.
Recipe found at https://draxe.com/homemade-teeth-whitener/
- 1/2 cup unrefined, extra-virgin, organic, or cold-pressed coconut oil
(Be sure to read our article on coconut oil in the ‘Honor Your Body’ issue!)
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 40-60 drops essential oils – Scent recommendations: lavender, lemon and sage
- Empty deodorant containers
- Put coconut oil in bowl
- Mix in baking soda
- Add in essential oils
- Store in a deodorant container or in a glass jar
Recipe found at https://draxe.com/homemade-deodorant/
Lavender and Rosemary Homemade Hair Detangler
(Total Time: 10 minutes Serves: 20 uses)
- 6–8 drops lavender essential oil
- 4 drops rosemary essential oil
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1–1½ ounces purified or distilled water
- 2 ounce glass spray bottle
- small funnel
- Place the lavender and rosemary oil drops into the glass bottle.
- Add the apple cider vinegar and water.
- Cap the bottle tightly and shake well.
- It is now ready to use! Spray the hair after showering and before combing or brushing.
Recipe found at https://draxe.com/homemade-hair-detangler/
Relaxing Bath Salts
- 3 cups Epsom Salts
- 1 cup baking soda
- Water to fill bath (as hot as you can stand without burning yourself)
- 40 drops lavender essential oil
- Large Glass Jar
- Combine dry ingredients and store in a closed container
- At bath time, add 1 cup of dry ingredients and the lavender to the water
- Soak for 20-40 minutes (the longer the better)
Recipe found at https://draxe.com/homemade-healing-bath-salts/
Homemade Rosemary Mint Shampoo
- 6 oz Aloe Vera Gel
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 10 Tbsp Baking Soda
- 20 drops Rosemary Oil
- 10 drops Peppermint Oil
- dispenser bottles
- Mix all ingredients together
- Store in an 8oz glass or plastic bottle
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch or arrowroot powder (for lighter hair colors) OR 2 tablespoons cocoa or cinnamon powder (for darker hair colors)
- 2 drops lavender essential oil
- 1 drop peppermint essential oil
- Blend all ingredients together in a small bowl or container with a lid.
- Sprinkle mixture onto scalp and hair roots, then work in with fingertips. You can use a clean makeup brush to apply to the roots. Apply evenly.
- Make sure you allow the product to sit for a couple of minutes before styling.
- Once it has had a few minutes to work into the hair and roots, make sure you comb or blow-dry it to help it blend well.