Happy Independence Day!
Just because your holiday may be filled with food, friends, family, and fireworks doesn’t mean it has to be an unhealthy!
BYOU Magazine offers a few ideas for a fun and healthy 4th of July with two easy recipes to make and two games to play with friends or family that are great exercise this Independence Day! How are you celebrating this 4th of July?
RECIPE: Red, White and Blue Ice Cold Pops
Make a special, healthy treat for all your Independence Day buddies! Red, white & blue ice pops to cool off are perfect all summer long. Here is your grocery list to make these yummy ice pops:
- 3oz paper or plastic cups (ones you can throw away or recycle)
- Cranberry Juice
- Blue Sports Drink
- Popsicle sticks
How to make:
- Arrange 3-oz. paper or plastic cups on a baking sheet and pour cranberry juice 1/3 of the way into all of the cups. Place baking sheet with cups in freezer and freeze until juice is almost firm, about 1 hour.
- Insert popsicle sticks into center of slightly frozen juice. (If sticks won’t stand up straight, you can fix them when the next layer starts to freeze.)
- Pour 1/3 of the lemonade into the cup, on top of the cranberry juice, to make a second layer. Freeze until hard, about 2 hours.
- Pour blue sports drink to fill the rest of the cup over lemonade layer and freeze until solid, about 3 hours. Leave in the freezer until you’re ready to serve!
- Gently pull each ice pop out of its cup (it helps to squeeze the cup lightly from bottom) and serve immediately.
Thanks to MyRecipes.com for this refreshing recipe – check out their video to see how to make perfectly:
RECIPE: 4th of July Fruit Kabobs
Shine your red-white-blue spirit with this super-easy recipe that is a healthy twist for any party. Here’s what you’ll need for this delicious, healthy snack (okay, maybe marshmallows aren’t considered “healthy” but adding a few is fun LOL):
- Mini Marshmallows
- Kabob skewers
How to make:
- Wash the blueberries and strawberries well.
- Cut up strawberries (bite size pieces are the best!)
- Take your kabob skewers and slide your fruit pieces and mini marshmallows onto the skewers.
- Make fun, red, white and blue patterns!
- Serve cold and fresh!
FOOD TIP: Always look for organic foods to help avoid nasty GMOs. Read about GMOs here.
GAME: Red, White & Blue Tag
This is a game that can get everyone involved! All you need is a space to run around, like your backyard, and red, white, and blue tokens, or just cut out pieces of red, white and blue paper. The object of the game is to tag your friends and/or family members to take their token. Who ever has three tokens (one red, one white, and one blue) first, wins!
How to play:
- You need to cut out enough red, white, and blue pieces of paper to make “tokens” for everyone playing. Only one token for each player! (Everyone will either have a red, white OR blue token.)
- Everyone who is playing will get one token. It doesn’t matter which color everyone gets.
- Now play tag!
- When ever you tag someone, you will get their token!
- If you are tagged, you give one token to the person who tagged you and keep playing! (If you have zero tokens, that’s fine! Just keep playing!)
- Who ever gets a red, white and blue token first, wins!
GAME: Capture the American Flag
How to play:
- Divide your backyard or playing space in half.
- Divide into teams! Make sure there are an even number of adults and kids on each team.
- Each team will decide where they want to place their flag on their side of the yard. Hint: Put it somewhere hard for he other team to get!
- Once everyone is on their side of the of the yard… Ready, Set, Go!
- The object of the game is to capture the other team’s flag and bring it back to your side of the yard.
- The other team can slow you down by tagging you if you’re on their side.
- If you’re tagged you have to sing a patriotic song before you can start playing again! For example, ‘God Bless America’ or ‘America The Beautiful’.
- Which ever team brings the flag back to their side of the yard, wins!
Have fun and Happy 4th of July from your friends at BYOU Magazine! Remember it’s a day to honor life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness for all.
Each BYOU Magazine issue is filled with celebrity exclusives, self-esteem advice, games, crafts, inner-beauty tips, and more.
Subscribe to BYOU Magazine and you’ll get every fun and encouraging issue delivered right to your door for only $19.97 (six issues)! Plus you’ll get a free digital subscription and subscriber-only exclusives! Don’t miss a single issue, ORDER A SUBSCRIPTION TODAY!
Sign up for our email list to get BYOU Magazine updates!